Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Recap of my weekend in Upstate NY

My weekend in Upstate NY turned out to be very successful. I spent quality time with an old friend, saw part of NY I never had the time to see during college, and rested up on sleep. 

As I mentioned in my previous post, I flew in on Friday, saw RPI (my college), met the animals of Five Goats Farm, and had a wonderful steak dinner with Anthony and his summer roommate Tyler. Tyler is an art student who is working at BARD College this summer-- and helping Anthony to take care of the animals. 

Anthony has 5 goats, a dog, 2 llamas, 2 ponies, honey bees, and many chickens - plus a cat he's cat sitting. He rarely gets to go away, so I'm glad I could stop by for a few days. 

It should also be noted that this year is the year of the 17-year cicadas. This was something new that I learned. Apparently these flying bugs stay underground for 17 years and then come out and eventually die- once every 17 years. This phenomena is specific to the area of Upstate NY where Anthony lives. My guess is that there may be other areas that also experience something similar, but I don't know. 

Anyway... On Saturday, we drove to take a tour of a historic home called Olana. The house was very interesting and we had a wonderful tour guide who appeared to be in her late 70s or early 80s. For dinner, we had fresh oysters and a risotto made with homemade bacon, corn, and shrimp. Not only was this good, but it inspires me to want to learn to make bacon. 

On Sunday, we visited the town of Red Hook and another neighboring town. We went to the farmers market and ate tons of great food all day long. For lunch, I had mac and cheese at a gastro pub. Dinner was at an Italian place that served fresh pasta - one of my favorites - and bread with a homemade olive oil that was by far the best I've ever tasted. 

Yesterday (Monday), we took another driving tour and visited Woodstock and a few other places. I had seen the sign for Woodstock many times, but had never stopped by. It's just about what you might expect- a sleepy little alternative town. Last night, I participated in Mexican Monday with Anthony and Tyler, eating enchiladas in front of the TV. I may have to adopt this tradition as I've been making Mexican food quite a bit lately myself. 

Today, I slept in and after a nice breakfast of fresh eggs, Anthony dropped me at the Albany Airport for my flight. Luckily, I made both of my flights. I'm now heading back to Memphis from Charlotte. 

I am hoping that tonight I will get to spend time with my friend Dan W who is moving to DC tomorrow after being accepted into medical school (congrats!!). I will miss Dan W, but I'm happy for him. And I'm sure he's ready to get his life in motion after a long stay in Memphis for grad school. 

I'm a bit nervous to get back to it this week. There are so many things going on the next few days that its going to be a challenge to keep up. Hopefully, I will find a little time here and there to relax and check out my pool. It's a luxury I haven't been able to enjoy yet this summer. 

Last but not least, I will have information soon about an online auction for Memphis To Moore. A few of the items arrived after the event, so we will be using the opportunity to create an online sale. Stay tuned for more details and let me know if you have an item that you'd like to donate for the auction. 

No comments: